Friday, January 8, 2010

The Writers' Porch--Friday

I need advice. I feel like I have about a million words to write. Here's a breakdown.

  • Contracted for a new Bible study--due June 1st.
  • Speaking notes for 6 weekend retreats for this spring
  • 2 Proverbs 31 devotionals due the 15th of each month
  • About 10 various magazine articles
  • 3 book proposals that are cooking in my thoughts
  • My daily blog--obviously, this is one of the writing projects that flounders.

Unfortunately, for me I tend to get overwelmed and then just want to sit and stare slack-jawed at my computer. Or I get a bit snarky over everything and my poor husband takes the brunt of it. (Sorry, sweetheart). Really, if I could just have a good crying jag I would probably feel so much better, but I am not much of cry baby.

As far as my blog, I have files and files of things I want to and need to blog about. But I always think I will do this after supper tonight, but then I am too stinkin' tired.

What's a writer to do? I need some advice!

2 comments:

North Jersey Christian Writers Group said...

Dear Susanne,
I am highly UNqualified to give you advice, but I totally understand the overwhelming feeling of too much on your plate. I'll share what has helped me over the years:

Allen Redpath - "There are enough hours in the day to do what God wants you to do, and no more"

Oswald Chambers - "Good is the enemy of best."

These wise quotes have helped me sift and prioritize what God wants me to do, so it can be His best, and leave the rest. We can't do more than He'd allow time for.

The many committments need to be broken down into smaller tasks, and then addressed one by one. A good friend told me how she prepared for her doctorate board certification in counseling. With so much to study, she broke down her huge project and blocked out her day, focusing on each different subject for that amount of time. Period. The next block addressed the next subject.

My new year's post addressed how to "Seize the year" (Carpe Annum). By seizing the day (Carpe Diem).

I will be praying for you. I look forward to reading all that God has written through you.

Many blessings,
Susan

ps - the squiggly word verification right below my comment is "amen"
haha!!

Colleen Reske said...

This is excellent advice, Susan!

Susanne, I often feel exactly as you do, and instead of accomplishing anything at all I just feel stuck like I can't even move.

Advice that has been given to me to help me get going is just to do something for 10 minutes. That big pile of papers all over my desk? Just spend 10 minutes sorting it, and then decide what to do with the next 10 minutes.

Breaking a project down into doable slices of time seems to make it feel less daunting. I am also going to try to "block out" time each day for writing, for my studies, for housework, etc, and then try to stick to it. We'll see how it goes. I have to do something to get organized and move these projects forward.

Writing is such a creative endeavor. For me, it is best done in the morning hours before too many thoughts of the day crowd out my own. So that is when I will need to 'schedule' my time to write. I think by evening, I'm too tired to think much, too!

Make time for yourself to just "be". Today I will take a chilly walk in the woods, in the deep snow, and just rest my thoughts in God. Boy, do I need that!

Blessings,
Colleen