Thursday, January 14, 2010

Find Your Family--Part 2

Yesterday I told the true story of my biological brother locating me. Surprise to me!

After the initial phone call, my father said he couldn't remember. Really! But let's just say my dad fought in World War II and perhaps his mind was a bit foggy and groggy on a few matters. Anyway, my brother discovered a mother who had died decades before, a father who refused to remember, and a sister (me) who wasn't quite sure what she thought about the whole matter.

We met. We talked. We didn't have a lot in common other than that we both had two sons the same age. And we were both Christians which was the glue that bonded us.

Over the next ten years, we visited each other occasionally. We talked on the phone a few times. We got to know each other to the best of our ability, considering we met as a sister and brother after 45 years. His health deteriorated over the next few years and sadly passed away a couple of years ago.

This story has caused me to pause and ponder the issue of adoption. So when the reality show Find Your Family began, I tuned in. The series portrays adoptive families as happily ever after.

Here's the truth -- no one's life, whether adopted or not, is happily ever after here on this earth. As I write this an earthquake has rattled the foundations of Haiti--NO, life is not happily ever after whether you are a member of an adoption family or not.

EXCEPT if you are adopted by the heavenly Father.

"Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes. God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure.
So we praise God for the glorious grace he has poured out on us who belong to his dear Son.
He is so rich in kindness and grace that he purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son and forgave our sins.
He has showered his kindness on us, along with all wisdom and understanding (Ephesians 1:4-8 NLT)."

After experiencing an adoption situation in my own family life it has made me appreciate that truth of Ephesians 1. The Father wanted to adopt us and it gave Him great pleasure! What an eternal birth announcement. If you want to find your family, look no further than other Christ followers. And if you are child of adoption, realize that you are dearly loved. You are chosen. You are a prized possession. With the heavenly Father there is a happily ever after--eternally.

Keep the Heart-Print Faith,

Susanne



No comments: