Thursday, June 4, 2009

Babbling About Books--Thursday--House of Dark Shadows


House of Dark Shadows (Series Dream House Kings)
Robert Liparulo
Young Adult Fiction
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
(2008)

Yesterday I encouraged my blogger friends to invest in the youth of our nation by encouraging them in their gifts and passions that God has given to them. So today I thought I would follow-up with a great young adult book series. These books would be a great summer read for you and your kids.

The first book of the series, House of Dark Shadows, begins with the history of a very strange house. The protagonist, Xander, moves into the house with his family. He has an eerie feeling right away and soon the house begins to reveal its secrets—and they are truly scary. It is a page turner from beginning to end.

What I like about these books is they aren’t smarmy religiously written books. They are action filled with real kids who do things they shouldn’t, get into situations because of poor choices, and the house is frightening. The characters are believable. Mr. Liparulo has written a book that grabs the read with the fantasy and the character driven plot, while not succumbing to the occultic tendency of the Harry Potter books. Think of a cross between J.R.R. Tolkien and Edgar Allen Poe.

I sat in on a lecture by Liparulo at the Christian Book Expo. His thoughts on plots and character intrigued me. I went out and purchased most of his books. (He writes adult thrillers, also.) I have not been disappointed. He knows what he’s doing in the genre of thrillers for adults and young adults.

As for House of Dark Shadows I applaud Thomas Nelson, the publisher, for printing Christian Young Adult fiction that not only will reel in the kids, but can keep an adult turning the page. I have purchased the series and will keep them for my grandchildren to read in the future.

Hang on Michael, Emily and Brianna, these books will make you want to keep a flashlight by your bed even when you’re a big person.


No comments: