Monday, September 27, 2010

If I Had Nine Lives

One of my favorite movies scenes comes from Little Women (1994)  The scene evolves as Jo March sits with her romantic interest, the professor, and his friends.  The men debate whether or not women should have the right to vote.  Jo enters the debate with a stinging logical retort.  The dialogue proceeds,

Mr. Mayer: You should have been a lawyer, Miss March.

Jo March: I should have been a great many things, Mr. Mayer.

 Every time my husband and I watch this movie, which is every December, we look at each other and say, "I should have been a great many things."  Unfortunately, I have more interests and dreams that I have life.

Here are the things that I should have been. This list is not prioritized in numerical order. Nor does it take into consideration God's calling on my life.  But my heart and spirit whisper that life is such a wonder.  I should've, could've and would've been any of the following. 

1. Cowgirl barrel racer
2. Veterinarian
3. Peace Corp Volunteer
4. World Traveler
5. Train Conductor
6. Dairy Queen Worker  (age 5)
7. Author/Speaker
8. Bohemian Freelance writer
9. Astronomer (not smart enough)

A few of these I have accomplished.  Others were unrealistic for my natural gifts and abilities.  A few were clearly not God's will for my life--life is short. But regardless, I still say that if I had nine lives I would have been a great many things.  What would you like to do in your life?

Travel Mercies,


3 comments:

Glynnis Whitwer said...

Interesting post. Here are a few dreams:

To be a professional singer in the Christian music industry.

To run a bed and breakfast in the English countryside.

To run a tea house.

Now I have a dream to be a historical romance writer and live part of my year in England for research purposes. (Scotland or Wales would work too)

Thanks for letting me dream this morning.

Tracie Miles said...

I love this idea! Really makes me think about all the 'what-ifs' and 'what could/should have beens' in my life. I might have to write about this on my blog! Thanks for provoking my thoughts! Praying for your mom also - hoping she is doing better lately. :)

Amy said...

I was just thinking yesterday that I wish I had been a PeaceCorps volunteer.

Here's to girl-power fueled by Jesus power!