Sunday, May 25, 2008

Thought Provoking

Over this long weekend I read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. He is the author of The Kite Runner, also. Both books are excellent. I doubted I would like A Thousand Splendid Suns as well as the The Kite Runner. However, to my surprise and delight—I liked it even better. Both books are set in Afghanistan and are very thought provoking. Although fictional these books give insight into a world that is foreign to us.

I could not put A Thousand Splendid Suns down. One night I stayed up to 2:00 AM, so that I could finish it. I highly recommend this book. It will spark compassion to pray for women who are locked into any type of repressive culture.

After finishing A Thousand Splendid Suns, I started reading Three Cups of Tea. It is a true story of a man whose goal in life is to bring education to girls who live in the Middle East that have little or no education. Again, I wasn’t sure if I would care for this book. However, I am finding it fascinating. I will let you know after I finish it, whether it is a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

But if you want a thought provoking read, run to the library and check out A Thousand Splendid Suns, it will only take a three or four suns to read it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Susanne,
I agree with you on A Thousand Splendid Suns. I listened to it and since I can only listen in the kitchen, I got a lot of cooking done! I, too, liked it just as well as Kite Runner.