Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Stinkiest

I could never finish reading C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. I found it boring--a real snoozer. However, a friend recommended that I listen to it on my I-pod. I did and enjoyed it immensely. In fact, I plan on listening to it again. I liked the narrator's tone and British accent. It made feel as if I was sitting in the "Eagle and the Child" chatting with C.S. Lewis, eating fish and chips, and discussing the truth of faith in Jesus Christ.

It's a small book, but packed with information.

Mere Christianity once refreshed my memory on much of basic Christian theology. It teaches on God's love and human sin--especially pride. Pride is at the root of all sin. It's the stinkiest. It all began in the garden of Eden and still plagues every human being. Pride creeps in quietly. It justifies itself. It feels good.

For myself, I find it starts in my thoughts and progresses into actions. It stinks. My friend, Micca Campbell, once said, "You are never more like Satan than when you are seeking your own glory." C.S. Lewis agrees.

Here's my take away from listening to the audio book of Mere Christianity. Christianity is easy. Jesus made it easy. However, resisting our own pride is difficult. I recommend Mere Chrisianity as a reminder and a excellent resource on how to battle the stinkiest sin of pride.

No comments: