Monday, June 26, 2017

“Peculiar Pete”

By Susanne Scheppmann

Key Verse:
1 Peter 2:9, “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.” (KJV) 

Devotion:
My husband and I encountered Peculiar Pete at a park in a small town in Idaho. We were driving to Yellowstone National Park and had pulled over to stretch our legs and walk our dogs in the beautiful city park.

The elderly gentleman approached us on a razor scooter. He grinned as he approached and I was almost blinded by his gold teeth that glittered in the afternoon sun. His 1970’s shorts clashed with his tied-dyed t-shirt. His baseball cap cocked to one side revealed long thin stringy hair dyed to auburn brown. 

I hoped he wouldn’t speak to me, so I averted my eyes from this odd spectacle scooting toward me. Sure enough, I heard, “Good afternoon, my name is Pete. Nice dogs you have there.”

“Thanks, “replied my husband as I suddenly became mute.

With just that one word of encouragement to continue the conversation, Pete jumped into a long discourse of his past. He peppered the monologue with, “Do you hear what I am saying?”

We discovered that not only did he ride a scooter, but a motorcycle, too. He owned a welding company, had almost married a millionaire, and he downhill skied. He paused to take a breath, my husband asked him about directions to Yellowstone. Once again, he launched into a one-sided conversation.  

However, this time we gained valuable information to aid us in our vacation. It turned out the Pete held a treasure trove of knowledge on almost any subject. His friendliness, soon overpowered my hesitation to interact with him. Although, odd, I liked him and was thankful we had met.

After he pushed away on his tiny scooter, he waved to us with the dirty hat. I watched him head toward the park swings. I thought, “Pete was peculiar, but a joy!”

Then 1 Peter 2:9 flashed through my thoughts. As Christians, we are called to be peculiar, too. Oh not like my friend, Pete. Peculiar in the sense, if we are God's children we should act like it. Other people should notice that we are different from everyone else. Our behaviors should represent we serve a holy God. Our attitudes should be the same as Jesus. We should exhibit light in a dark world. When we wave good-bye to someone they should think, “She is peculiar, but a joy to be with.”

I think of Pete, often. Although wary at first, I eventually envied his self-confidence. Now I pray I can be as bold in my Christianity as he was audacious in his looks and conversation. I wouldn’t mind being a bit peculiar for Jesus. How about you?

Prayer:
Dear Lord, help me to be brave in my walk of faith with you. Make me peculiar enough so that people recognize that there is something different in my life. Give me boldness to proclaim that You make the difference. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Application steps: 
Determine to do one thing outside your comfort zone of Christianity today. Ponder the reactions you get from people who know you and those who don’t. Journal your thoughts and feelings about the occurrence.

Refection points:      
Do you know someone who exhibits extreme confidence in his or her Christian walk?

Do other people think he/she is peculiar?

Would you want your friends to think you were different because of Jesus in your life?

Power verses:
1 Samuel 16:7, “But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." (NIV) 

Titus 2:14, “Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.” (KJV) 

Colossians 3:12, “Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” (NIV) 

Philippians 2:5, “Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus.” (NIV) 


© 2006 by Susanne Scheppmann. All rights reserved


No comments: