Saturday, July 1, 2017

“Hallelujah Happy Dance”

By Susanne Scheppmann

Key Verse:
Psalm 30:11-12, “You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.  O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever.  (NIV)
                         
Devotion:
I detest August 11th.  My mother died thirty-five years ago on that day.  Four years ago, it became the day that death visited my dad.  Then two years ago, my mother-in-law passed away on August 11th.  Annually, this day of sorrow rears its ugly head.  I am reminded that time with our loved ones is a precious commodity. 

Loss and sorrow tumble into our lives at unexpected times.  Thankfully, joy and dancing prance into our lives to offset the difficult times.   

Our family was experiencing the sorrow of the loss of my mother-in-law.  At the same time, our family was blessed with the addition of an incredible daughter-in-law.  Within a few months, another blessing arrived.  My husband and I became grandparents for the very first time!  I remember the phone call from my son, “Mom, the baby is a girl.  We named her Emily Susanne.”  I couldn’t believe the honor that was bestowed upon me.  My heart began a “Hallelujah Happy Dance” and I became so overwhelmed that I cried for 45 minutes straight.  

My dear husband never knows what to do when I cry.  Sobs shook my body as I kept soaking tissues with the tears rolling down my eyes.  Softly he patted me on the shoulder, “Honey, are these happy tears?”

Then I laughed so hard, that I cried again.  Yes!  Hallelujah!  My heart overflowed with joy.

Our Key Verse reminds us that God will turn “my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever.  (Psalm 30:11-12 NIV)

Hillel, an ancient Hebrew educator, wrote these applicable words. 

I get up.
I walk.
I fall down.
Meanwhile, I keep dancing.
                                                                                                          
Yes, life is full of ups and downs.  However, we have the choice to choose our attitudes.  We can wallow in the bitterness of life’s hardships.  Or, we can dance at the joy that drops by for surprise visits.

Will you dance today? 

Prayer: 
Father, help me to understand that both heartache and joy come in abundance during our lifetime.  Help me get up when I fall down.  Give me the courage to walk in faith and remind me to keep dancing because of your faithfulness.  In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Application steps:  
Read Psalm 30.  Then read the story of David dancing in 2 Samuel 6:16-22.  Then answer the following questions. 

Why do you think David rejoiced to such an extent?

Speculate to why Micah would despise her husband for dancing before the Lord.

What was David willing to do in his celebration for the Lord?

  
Refection points:       
Are there certain days that depression creeps up on you?

What days bring you joy and happiness?

Are you willing to celebrate and dance before the Lord when joy arrives?

What do you think Hillel meant when he stated, “Meanwhile, I keep dancing”?

Power verses:
2 Samuel 6:14-15, “David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the Lord with all his might, while he and the entire house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouts and the sound of trumpets.”  (NIV)

Habakkuk 3:18, “Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior.”  (NIV)  

Psalm 149:3, “Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with tambourine and harp.”  (NIV) 

Psalm 68:3, “But may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God; may they be happy and joyful.”  (NIV)  

© 2006 by Susanne Scheppmann. All rights reserved.



No comments: