Monday, June 19, 2017

“Faith Book”

By Susanne Scheppmann

Key Verse:
“They stood where they were and read from the Book of the Law of the Lord their God for a quarter of the day, and spent another quarter in confession and in worshiping the Lord their God.”  Nehemiah 9:3 (NIV)
Devotion:
A new addiction slipped into my life recently—Facebook.  Internet social networking slid in quietly and unobtrusively. Each day I found myself reading and posting a bit more.  I learned how to create my visual bookshelf, so my “friends” could check out what I was reading.  I linked my blog.  My time seeped into Facebook like grains of sand slide through the hourglass.
My addiction soon took a turn for the worst.  I began to put off my personal quiet time with God until after I had Facebooked.  Sadly, Scripture seemed boring next to my friends’ posting.   Strangely the mundane posts intrigued me.  I had fallen under the spell of social networking.
Then one day, I dragged myself away from my laptop.  I had Bible study that night and needed to finish my lesson.  The lesson pointed us to the book of Nehemiah. I read, “They stood where they were and read from the Book of the Law of the Lord their God for a quarter of the day, and spent another quarter in confession and in worshiping the Lord their God.” (Nehemiah 9:3 NIV).
Yikes! They read God’s word for a quarter of the day, then spent another quarter of the day in confession and worshiping? These words haunted me the rest of the afternoon.  When was the last time I spent that much time with God?  How much time did I spend on the Internet?  I felt a deep conviction about my Facebook addiction. 
I determined that day to read my Bible, my FaithBook, before I turned on my computer each day.  I would network with God, before networking with my friends.  When I made this decision, I saw Scripture jump back to life.  God’s Word spoke to me with a freshness that seemed as if He had just posted it Himself.  
The addiction stopped. Oh, I still enjoy Facebook and other social networks, but I have learned to keep them in proper perspective. Psalm 119:59-60 sums up my new intent. “I pondered the direction of my life, and I turned to follow your laws. I will hurry, without delay, to obey your commands (NLT).
Will you join me in the commitment to spending time in God’s Word before time spent on Facebook?
 Prayer:                                                                                                                                                            
Dear Lord, I recognize that I spend too much time on the computer. Forgive my inattention to Your Word. Help me each day to place You first in my life.  In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Application steps: 
Today take notice of how much time you spend on the computer for personal enjoyment.  Decide to make your quiet time with God a priority. Read Psalm 119 and then ponder the benefits of time spent in God’s Word. 

Reflections: 
Do I put off my quiet time with God in lieu of social networking?

Am I willing to commit more time reading the Bible?

How can I begin to keep my life in a healthy balance?

Power verses:
Exodus 24:7, “Then he took the Book of the Covenant and read it to the people. They responded, “We will do everything the Lord has said; we will obey.” (NIV)
Romans 10:17, “Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.”  (NIV)
 Joshua 1:8, “Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.”  (NIV)

© 2009 by Susanne Scheppmann. All rights reserved.

No comments: