Friday, June 2, 2017


“Crossroads”

by Susanne Scheppmann

Key Verse: 
Jeremiah 6:16, “This is what the Lord says: "Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls…” (NIV)

Devotion:
“I don’t remember the bushes on the side of the road looking so green,” I thought to myself. Within the next 30 seconds, I drove over a bridge. The water below was boldly identified as the Colorado River. Then a large yellow sign welcomed me to California. I was supposed to be entering Nevada. Somewhere at a crossroad, I made the wrong turn. I didn’t realize my mistake for over an hour.

Sheepishly I called my husband to tell him my news: 

“Hi, it’s me” 

“Hi, Honey. Are you almost home?”

“Not exactly, I’m in California.”

“What? Are you lost? Didn’t you read the map?”

“No, I didn’t look at the map. I thought I knew the right direction, but I must have made a wrong turn at the crossroads in Arizona. I am turning around.”  

My “detour” added an additional two hours to my long drive home. If only I had read my map or asked for directions, I wouldn’t have found myself in California. I wouldn’t have lost valuable time and energy.

Often, I make the same mistake in my spiritual life. Big decisions loom ahead. I think I know the right course. So off I go without taking time to pray or read my Bible and my choices go awry. Eventually I realize, “Oops, I should have sought God’s advice.” 

God promises that when we stand at a crossroads He will guide us. We need to stop and listen with our spiritual ears for the correct course to take. Proverbs 3:6 advises us to acknowledge Him in all our ways and He will make our paths straight. I prefer my path straight over crooked, don’t you?  

So the next time life presents a quandary, let’s stop at the crossroads of our decision.  Let’s ask Him which is the better way. Let’s reach for our Bible and let God’s Word become our roadmap. “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path,” Psalms 119:105 (NIV). God’s Word promises to show us the right way to proceed in life. 

Prayer: 
Lord, today as I make my decisions help me to remember to ask You for Your direction.  Guide me so that I do not take a wrong turn. Give me light for my path. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.  

Application steps:  
Review the power verses for today. Select one to memorize. Then pray this verse when you reach a crossroad in your life.  

Refection points:
Do I seek God as a part of my decision making process?

What decisions loom in my life today?

How can I be more attuned to God’s direction in my life?

Power verses:  
Isaiah 58:8, “Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.” (NIV)

Isaiah 30:21, “Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." (NIV)

Proverbs 3:6, “In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” (NIV)

Isaiah 35:8, “And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness. The unclean will not journey on it; it will be for those who walk in that Way; wicked fools will not go about on it.” (NIV)

John 10:9, “I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture.” (NIV)


© 2006 by Susanne Scheppmann. All rights reserved.






No comments: