Monday, September 7, 2009

Sunflower Summer

My mother always says, “You know summer is over when the sunflowers line the road.” I have been traveling home from Minnesota the past few days and the sunflowers are everywhere. It’s the strangest thing, we’ve been gone almost five weeks in a motorhome, but as I stepped back through my front door, it feels like I haven’t been gone but a few hours. Time flies.

I can’t believe my long awaited roadtrip is over. It seems impossible that summer is finished already. During this summer of 2009, I lost a dear friend to cancer. I bought two new puppies after my old dog died. I have worked hard and played hard. It was a time for laugher and a time for tears.

I have been very reflective this summer. I have realized the truth of “our life is but a breath.” I want to live my life to the fullest. I don’t want to wake up ten years from now and see the sunflowers on the road and wish I had taken a different path. I even read Dr. Phil’s book, Self-Matters. Certainly, I don’t agree with much of the stuff he wrote, but I do believe that we are put on this earth to fulfill a purpose—not our own purpose, but God’s purpose for us. The dilemma is finding that path.

Recently, I had a big decision to make. I called one of my friends who has been gifted with wisdom. She said, “Susanne, I can’t believe that the Lord would just drop this in your lap. Hasn’t He been whispering quietly to your heart about this already?” Hmmm. . . yes, He has. Case closed, decision made.

What are your thoughts as we close the summer of 2009? What's your purpose? Have you made any decisions?

Keep a Heart-Print Faith,


3 comments:

Wendy Blight said...

Susanne,

Love your post! I too had those thoughts these past weeks...not so much about my purpose but about the legacy I would leave behind...most especially as it concerns my words and my actions. I know the right words to say and good things to do. But am I doing them??? The Lord led me to several areas that I am NOT living up to His desires for me in these areas. And it was not in a condemning or guilt-inducing way, but in a beautiful way. I know you understand.

Love you, friend,

Wendy

Joan said...

Susanne,

I've done a lot of reflecting this summer myself. Time passes quickly and like you, I don't want to have regrets about a path not taken.

Sometimes I'm afraid to step out on faith and I've been thinking a lot about this lately. God has been speaking to me about "letting my light shine". After all, it is for His glory, not mine.

Anonymous said...

Если врач знает название вашей болезни, это еще не значит, что он знает что это такое. Никогда не приписывай человеческой зловредности того, что можно объяснить обыкновенной глупостью. Человек может долго жить на деньги которые он ждет. Реальность это иллюзия вызываемая отсутствием алкоголя. Женщины едят за разговорами, мужчины едят заедой.