Thursday, September 3, 2009

Babbling about Books--Thursday

Hope in the Midst of Depression
Author: Mary Southerland
Nonfiction
Publisher: Harvest House

Whenever I speak at women’s events, I usually talk briefly about the battle of depression. Why? Because so many women face it every morning when they look in the mirror. Depression has been a part of my own life on and off since I was a child. I know how depression feels when it looms overhead like an ominous cloud.

So when a tool comes along to blow away the gloom and doom I want to share it. The book I am babbling about today is Hope in the Midst of Depression written by my friend Mary Southerland. She can write about depression because she has experienced it. Mary writes, “If I managed to get out of bed and get dressed by the time my kids got home from school, the day was a success.” Does anyone relate?

I know many of us, especially if we are Christ followers, hate to admit that that we might fight something as “worldly” as depression. But the truth is almost 80% of the American population battles depression at some point in their lives.

Depression creates physical trauma—headaches, lethargy, etc. It hinders our emotions and hurts relationships. Depression dwindles our time and our energy. But for me the worst damage done is spiritual. My faith flounders when depression creeps into my life. My negativity warps the reality of God’s goodness—my faith struggles when I am depressed.

All that to say, if you are battling depression or know someone who is, Hope in the Midst of Depression is an excellent tool to combat the lies of depression with the hope we have in Jesus. It is available on amazon.com.

Keep the Heart-Print Faith,


2 comments:

Kelly said...

Thank you for sharing this resource and your testimony. Have a great day! Kelly

My Journey to Hope said...

Thanks for sharing about this book, which is very similar to what I'm currently writing my own about. It's great to know I'm not alone in this. And I really appreciate your practical advice on devotionals, too!

-Michelle