Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Holy Tattoo--An Excerpt from Divine Prayers for Despairing Parents


Holy Tattoo

Skulls grin at me from across the room. As my son’s arm reaches for his water, a snake’s blood-red eye winks at me. I recall hanging my son’s crayon pictures on the fridge. Pastel Sunday School portraits of the Jesus he loved. Now he displays colorful artwork of a different genre on his own skin.


Sullen indifference replaces the sweet excitement my little boy used to possess . I wonder where the young artist-child hides inside this young man I hardly recognize. Surely, he resides in my son’s soul still.


Smiling at the memories, I ask, “Son, can I get you a refill? I’m headed to the kitchen.”
Without looking up, he nods.


I stop at the fridge to fill up the glass and whisper to God, “Bring back the boy of the crayon days. Help him to feel the excitement again! Let him remember how he colorfully displayed Your love for him each week. Lord, tattoo his heart with of Your love. Give my son a tattoo of holiness. Fill him with Your love, just as I fill up this glass.”


As I hand the brimming glass to my son, I know God heard my prayer. I smile down at my son’s colorful arm, but this time, I wink back at the snake.

“For I will pour water on the thirsty land,
and streams on the dry ground;
I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring,
and my blessing on your descendants.
They will spring up like grass in a meadow,
like poplar trees by flowing streams.
One will say, ‘I belong to the Lord’;
another will call himself by the name of Jacob;
still another will write on his hand,
‘The Lord’s,’ and will take the name Israel.”
—Isaiah 44:3–5


Whispers
Father, pour out Your water on ____________’s dry spirit. May my beloved child say, “I am the Lord’s.” May _______________ call on the Lord and write on his hand, “Belonging to the Lord.” You are ________________’s Redeemer. Let my child say, “You are the Lord of hosts, and there is no God besides You.” In Jesus’s name. Amen.










5 comments:

Jeanie said...

Thank you Susanne for your post on despairing parents! I've been there too! Thank Our God that it is just a Season in our lives! Also, that we as parents never give up on our children! Just keep praying, trusting the Lord, and rebuking the enemy from their lives!
May God Bless You and YOur Ministry!

Joyful said...

Susanne, your P31 Devotional today was like a refreshing spring in a dry and weary land.

"My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word." Psalms 119:28 (NIV)

Needing God's strength, not in parenting, but in caring for my parents. Our roles have reversed and I'm needing His direction as I'm at my wit's end. Too much to share, but my heart is weary with sorrow.

Keeping my eyes on Him. Although I feel like going "on the lam", I'm resting in the Lamb.

Thanks for this encouragement,
Joy

Micca said...

Love your writing and your insights, girl!

Did you know that your devotion is on Crosswalk's homepage today??

Yay! Go God! Go Susanne!

Hugs!

Renee Swope said...

Powerful post and amazing devotion today. LOVED them both!!!!!!!!! Praying God uses them in amazing ways today to give hope to the weary. I echo your words in prayer for my sons today.

It was GREAT to see you at CBE. I so wish I had seen you more and we'd gotten to spend some extra time together. Can't wait for at least a few more hours to share at She Speaks team time!

Love you!
Renee

Jerralea said...

Thanks so much for this post. I needed it. I'm copying out that prayer and inserting my kids names in it right now!