Friday, July 21, 2017


 “ Scarred”


Key Verse:   
“But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities;
  the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.” (Isaiah 53:5 NIV) 

Devotion:
The bullet grazed across my friend’s cheek upward toward his forehead. The physician in the emergency room told him that he was lucky to be alive. My friend just shrugged his shoulders and exited the sliding door. I could see revenge in the depth of his eyes framed by the purplish-red slice that would soon become a scar for life. 

I wish that was the only scar my friend brandished. However, pockmarks from the methamphetamines mix with the freckles on his face. Tracks the size on pinpricks run up and down his inner arm from heroin needles. Hepatitis wastes his liver. And those are only the physical marrings, the scars of drug abuse penetrates his heart and mind. 

The fire of hatred and revenge sears my friend’s soul. The years of drug abuse twists his thoughts. His personality is lost in torment of heroin highs and downer lows. Peace of mind eludes him as the potent drugs delude his senses.

Thankfully, no one, not even my addict friend is beyond redemption and healing. Jesus loved the scarred people of society. He hung on the cross for every heroin addict. He died for those filled with hate. He rose from the grave, so that every addict and drug dealer could experience the full extent of God’s love through His nail-scarred hands.  

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, help my friend to that You were pierced for his transgressions. Grant him the understanding that You were crushed his iniquities. I ask that my friend be accept You as Savior and be healed by Your wounds. Touch my friend with Your nail-scarred hands. In Your Name, Amen.

Application steps: 
Search your local library or the Internet for information on helping family or friends with drug addictions.

Set an appointed time each day to pray exclusively for your relative or friend to find freedom from the drug addiction through Jesus Christ.

Reflections: 
What words of encouragement can I give?

How can I offer assistance, without enabling, my friend, or relative?

Power verses:
Isaiah 61:1, “The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners.” (NIV) 

Galatians 5:1, “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” (NIV) 

© 2007 by Susanne Scheppmann. All rights reserved.

No comments: