Friday, December 8, 2017

Ring Those Bells

By Susanne Scheppmann
Key Verse:
The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.” (Psalms 28:7 NIV)    
Devotion:
Handbell choirs mesmerize me. The month of December draws out the talented musicians who have the ability to play the shiny golden bells. The Christmas carols they create are clear and bright, lifting the listeners’ spirits as the notes ascend toward heaven.

Handbells originated in the late 1600s. They first appeared in churches which had bell towers. Their first purpose was to help the bell ringers learn and perfect the art of handling the massive church bells which tolled to announce special decrees, community events, and public warnings. Over time, the handbells were designed to produce superior musical tones. Each bell began making a distinctive musical note. So instead of being just a bell used for practice, they became a musical instrument. Eventually the bells were used to play for congregations who soon became enraptured by the beauty of the recognizable hymns. 

To me the ringing of the bells seems like a giant puzzle. I shake my head in wonder and then ponder, “How do they chime in such perfect rhythm and harmony?” This synchronized ringing of various bells involves a musical skill that is far beyond my capability. Yet, with their clear distinctive tones, they inspire me to recognize the glory of God. They signal me to praise God in my own unique style.

Although I cannot play the handbells, my heart sings with joy at what God has done in my life. My heart is an instrument of faith—our hearts are instruments of faith. Author Abraham Herschel described faith and our hearts as, “Faith is not the clinging to a shrine. But an endless pilgrimage of the heart, audacious longing, burning songs, daring thoughts, impulse overwhelming the heart, usurping toward these are all a drive to love the one who rings our heart like a bell.”
This month our hearts are celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. The remembrance of this divine event should drive us to “love the one who rings our heart like a bell.” Our key verse states, “My heart leaps with joy and I will give thanks to him in song.” As a sisterhood of believers, let’s celebrate with a joyful song in our hearts for the blessed Incarnation of our Lord Jesus. 
For the remaining days of December, let’s agree to unite our hearts in a choir of praise to God. Let’s allow our families, coworkers and communities to see the joy that rings true and bright in a cold, thoughtless world.  
Let those heart bells ring!
Prayer:
Dear Lord, I praise You today. Thank you for giving us music. Thank you for allowing our hearts to overflow with the acknowledgement of Your goodness. Help us to sing your praises during this month of celebration for the birth of Jesus. Allow our hearts to become a hymn of praise. Let our hearts become songs of faith in Your Hands. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Application steps: 
Read Psalm 28:6-9. Write in a journal the ways that God has shown mercy in your life. Note how He is your strength and shield. Write down how He helps you daily. Consider how He acts as your Shepherd and how He carries you through difficulties.

Reflections: 
Does my heart leap for joy? (Psalm 28:7)

Do I sing God’s praises? (Psalm 28:7)

How can I share my joy-filled heart during the Christmas season?

Power verses:
Isaiah 49:13. “Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountains! For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.” (NIV)
 
Ephesians 3:16-17, “I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.” (NIV)
Deuteronomy 16:14, “Be joyful at your Feast--you, your sons and daughters, your menservants and maidservants, and the Levites, the aliens, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns.” (NIV)


© 2010 by Susanne Scheppmann. All rights reserved.

No comments: