Friday, September 15, 2017

“The Grocery Cart”

By  Susanne Scheppmann
Key Verse:
“You care for the land and water it; you enrich it abundantly. The streams of God are filled with water to provide the people with grain, for so you have ordained it. You drench its furrows and level its ridges; you soften it with showers and bless its crops. You crown the year with your bounty, and your carts overflow with abundance.” (Psalm 65:9-11 NIV 
       
Devotion:
I dislike grocery shopping. It tops my list of least liked chores. I find most shopping carts veer to the left when laden down with canned pumpkin and a twenty-pound turkey. Worse, they squeak when I try to sneak down the ice cream aisle. 

Of course, the supermarket is only the beginning. I complain as I load the bags into my car. Groans issue forth as I haul the heavy bags into the kitchen. The ultimate irk comes when I try to find room for everything in my all-ready-stuffed pantry. “Where am I going to put all this stuff until Thanksgiving Day?” I ask myself.

Oh, Thanksgiving Day. A day to remind me of the bounty God blesses me with each day. It’s the holiday when I gorge myself on delectable food and then still find room for the pumpkin pie topped with white mounds of whipping cream for which I am truly thankful. I use Thanksgiving Day, every fourth Thursday of November, as a time to encourage my children to be thankful for all of God’s goodness that we have experienced throughout the year.  

Today’s key verse states, “You crown the year with your bounty.” It reflects the fact that God provides, especially during the harvest season. It’s a festive time to thank our Lord for all He provides for us throughout the year. My over-stocked cupboards should be a reminder of God’s abundance in providing for my family and me.

Next time I need to do the “dreaded” grocery shopping, I think I will ask for forgiveness for an ungrateful heart. And as I grab the unruly shopping cart, I will recite, “and your carts overflow with abundance.” I want to have a “Thanksgiving Day” each time I go to the store. I want to remember Thanksgiving Day should be every day.

Prayer:
Dear Lord, forgive my ungrateful heart. My grumbling about grocery shopping is a flagrant insult to Your bountiful goodness in my life. Help me to remember Your provision each day. I thank you for the groceries in my refrigerator and pantry. You are so good to me. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Application steps:
The next time you are grocery shopping, pray a prayer of thanksgiving for the food in your cart.  Thank God for His provision each day as you prepare your meals.


Reflections: 

Do I complain inadvertently about God’s provision?

Would my family consider me grateful?

How can I celebrate “Thanksgiving” every day?

Power verses:
Psalm 100:4,”Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.” (NIV)

Psalm 111:5, “He provides food for those who fear him; he remembers his covenant forever.” (NIV) 

1 Timothy 6:17, “Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.” (NIV) 

© 2008 by Susanne Scheppmann. All rights reserved.

No comments: