Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Reflections of Renewal



“Reflections of Renewal”

By Susanne Scheppmann


Key Verse:
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Psalm 51:10-12 (NIV)  

Devotion:
Today my car registration came up for renewal. I received notification that my magazine subscription will expire if not renewed immediately. Almost everything has a renewal of some sort, including my life.

I struggle out of bed each morning to stumble bleary-eyed to the earthy aroma of coffee. After just a couple of sips, I feel renewed. Caffeine works wonders in my drowsy morning state.

With the ceramic mug entrenched in my hand I mosey to my next renewal. A few moments spent with Jesus Christ. The brief morning interlude prepares me for the day ahead. So many times, I wake up crabby for any number of reasons, a spat with my spouse, raging hormones or lack of sleep. 

But as I settle into a quiet time with God, I sense His peace. I experience the Holy Spirit renewing my spirit with calmness and serenity. He “renews a steadfast spirit within me.” I accept gratefully his reassurance in the day looming ahead.  

With my head down, I ask him to create a purer heart in me. I need Him to wipe the slate clean of my anger with my husband. He calms the raging hormones by bestowing self-control upon me. I can manage the monthly moods, instead of them managing me. He gives me renewed energy even though I lack my necessary eight hours of slumber. The words of Isaiah 40:31 spring to life in me, “But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” (NIV)

Suddenly, I feel energized. I start the day’s chores with an upbeat attitude. OK, first I’ll call my husband and apologize. I’ll renew the magazine subscription and then I will head to DMV to renew my car registration. 

Finally, I’ll come back tomorrow for another replenishing for myself, for without a continuous renewal of my spiritual life, I would surely expire. 

Prayer:
Dear Lord, help me to make my quiet time with You a priority every morning.  Renew my spirit as a reflect upon You and Your Word. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


© 2005 by Susanne Scheppmann. All rights reserved

No comments: